Winterizing Your Spa – Preparation
- Turn power off at the GFI
- Open the drain in lower left corner of spa
- Open all jets
- Remove all diverters from their housings
- Remove filters and filter bleeder knobs
- Loosen pump unions on back of pumps. Remove pump bleeder knobs.
- Disconnect circulation pump and leave it disconnected throughout the winter
Wet Dry Vac
- Begin at the lowest points in spa and work your way up. Vacuum out each of the above items. (You could take out up to 15 gallons of water).
- Blow through each of the above
- Dry any water left on seats or floor
- Reconnect Pump 1, (pump on the right).
- Pour ½ gallon into each filter cannister
- Run Pump 1 for less than 1 minute, or until anti-freeze begins coming out of the jets
- Leave anti-freeze on seats and floor where it sits. This will prevent ice, that forms over the winter, from sticking to the spa shell in those spots.
- Throw a tarp over the spa cover and weigh it down with 1 gallon jugs of water in each corner. Expect 2-3 inches of ice to form on the floor of spa over the winter.
Opening Your Spa in the Spring
- Remove the tarp
- Reconnect the circ pump
- Reconnect Pump 2 unions. Put pump bleeder knobs back in.
- Close drain valve
- Fill spa through filter cannisters. ½ through each side.
- Turn power back on and activate both jet pumps.
- Watch for leaks or things you may have forgotten put back in place.
- When spa is operating properly, add 1 cup of liquid bleach and run keep running both jet pumps for ½ hour.
- When water is clean and clear, add sanitizer and enjoy.
Knowing how to winterize a spa properly can mean the difference between an easy, hassle free process of getting back in the water come spring, and unexpected difficulty. No one wants to invest in a hot tub at home only to find out they failed to take the necessary steps to keep it looking and running great.
If you have questions about anything you’ve read here, or need help winterizing your spa or going back to summer mode , please don’t hesitate to call. Our family of skilled technicians is always ready to lend a hand!